11.03.2016

DIY 3D-printed wall mounts - part 3


It is finally here! A screen recording of me trying out Onshape for 3D CAD modelling of the wall mounts I am going to print. As you will see in the clip, I am not used to working in Onshape, I am basically learning as we go along. Had I done this in Inventor (which I have extensive experience with), I would probably have done the recording, then edit out mistakes and put audio on lastly. Since this was a learning experience for me I chose to record both screen and audio at once, so enjoy:


As you can see I did not finish the part. I figured that almost 30 minutes was more than enough in one go (actually I was amazed that I had been recording for that long, because it only felt like it was half that). This of course means that we will have to another session, and I am really looking forward to it.

In part four we will finish off the basic design by doing the cover for the screw head also, and we will refine the end design by rounding edges and making it look more "professional". Also we will have to do something creative with regards to locking the cover for the screw head in place, or else it will just slide right off the bottom wall mount once they are up on the wall.

As you saw in the clip I made the Onshape project public, so you can find it through searching for "Wall mount" in the public projects in Onshape. I have also moved the Swift Calcs calculation into the Onshape project, since that is possible now with the Swift Calcs app in Onshape.

I have also found this Onshape blog post about successful 3D-printing of larger parts (larger than the printer can print in one go) which might come in handy in the future.

I spent (or actually wasted) quite a bit of time in trying to get hold of a good screen recording software that was also cheap (read: free). After trying several open source programs and also a few free trials, I finally stumbled onto the fact that you can actually get such software as Chrome extensions! So I ended up with this one, which seems to do exactly what I need.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar